Add a button to reset workspace in catkin_ws and clean out all projects

Hello, when I write roscd. It sends me to user:/home/simulations/public_sim_ws$ instead of the catkin folder. This occured after I deleted all the catkin files (because I tried to restart my workspace - to default setting)… Please make a reset button that just works… This is for beginners, why not make it easy to clean your slate ? I am experimenting… I want easy way to reset. I tried changing courses etc (there is similar question "How do I reset catkin ? " - people want obvious way to go to default… the advice switching to other courses didnt work.

Hi @t.hri,

I’ve made this into a feature request. Please click the vote button on the left side to the title to vote for the request.

Thanks for your suggestion.

1 Like

Thank you, I cannot even express how useful this would be for beginners… I feel much more free and comfortable exploring ROS, when I know I can easily reset everything.

hi @t.hri,
The easiest way to experiment is just to create new packages. You can always just delete a package and boom it’s gone :slight_smile:

A few helpful things:
to create new packages:

cd ~/catkin_ws/src
catkin_create_pkg “pkg_name” rospy

to build the workspace:

cd ~/catkin_ws
catkin_make
source ~/catkin_ws/devel/setup.bash

remember that you have to source ~/catkin_ws/devel/setup.bash in EVERY shell that you want to use, after you have run catkin_make, otherwise the changes dont get applied.

1 Like