Create your First Robot with ROS (Deprecated)

Hello @bayodesegun,

I am working on the unit : Create your First Robot with ROS (Deprecated). I am at the point where the raspicam_node gets cloned so I can view my raspberry pi camera. All I did was to git clone the raspicam_node and then I did catkin_make.

I got this error and I’ve been stuck for days while my payment is running. Please find below the error message I got. Kindly assist. Thank you.

pi@raspberrypi:~/catkin_ws$ catkin_make
Base path: /home/pi/catkin_ws
Source space: /home/pi/catkin_ws/src
Build space: /home/pi/catkin_ws/build
Devel space: /home/pi/catkin_ws/devel
Install space: /home/pi/catkin_ws/install

Running command: “make cmake_check_build_system” in “/home/pi/catkin_ws/build”

Running command: “make -j4 -l4” in “/home/pi/catkin_ws/build”

[ 57%] Built target raspicli
[ 57%] Built target raspicamcontrol
[ 71%] Built target raspicam_node_gencfg
make[2]: *** No rule to make target ‘/opt/vc/lib/libbcm_host.so’, needed by ‘/home/pi/catkin_ws/devel/lib/raspicam_node/raspicam_node’. Stop.
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:443: raspicam_node/CMakeFiles/raspicam_node.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:141: all] Error 2
Invoking “make -j4 -l4” failed

Hello @Yelaina ,

Please check this post and see if it helps: Raspicam_node error during catkin_make

Hello @albertoezquerro, I already saw that post and did exactly that but catkin_make is still not working unless I remove the raspicam_node. Kindly assist with alternative or corrections. I have been stuck here for more than a week now. Thank you.

Hello @albertoezquerro @bayodesegun, please is there another way for me to see my raspberrypi camera on my system aside from using the raspicam or another solution to stop the raspicam_node errors? I have less than 2 weeks to finish this course before my subscription expires. Kindly assist, thanks.

Hi Yelaina,

The issue with Deprecated courses is that, in fact, they might be deprecated and have things that no longer work. This error sounds like the repository you are cloning has compatibility issues that previously did not have. What unit is this?

In the case of a deprecated course, you need to figure out what is the reason for the compilation error. The distribution in that course is Kinetic, so you need to make sure that what you are cloning works for kinetic. From the error, it might be a missing dependency in the system.

Hello @Yelaina ,

The problem with this issue is that it’s much harder for us to debug it since we actually need the same hardware in order to reproduce it. What Raspberry model are you using for the course? Don’t worry about the time, we can extend your license if necessary so that you can finish the course.

Hello @roalgoal,

Thank you for your response. The name of the course is "Create your First Robot with ROS (Deprecated). This might be the problem. The distribution on my raspberry pi is Noetic.

Hello @albertoezquerro ,

It is raspberry pi 4.

Then it is even more improbable that a Deprecated course which is built on Kinetic, to work on a Raspberry Pi with Noetic in which we don’t control what’s installed and what isn’t.

As you can see in the page of the repo you are cloning, the default branch is kinetic: GitHub - UbiquityRobotics/raspicam_node: ROS node for camera module of Raspberry Pi. Maybe switching branches will fix your issue, but it is worth noting you will most likely run into system specific issues that you will have to debug yourself (like installing dependencies). You also mention you are using a pi 4, and in all likelihood that repository was made with the pi 3. I don’t know if any issues will arise there, but you see my point. This is why the course is deprecated.

You can definitely use this course to get a general sense of what you need to do, but the specifics will of course change.

Hello @roalgoal, thank you for your response. I would try to change it to Kinetic. However, please is it possible to suggest another course that could help with communicating with the raspberry pi camera since this course is deprecated?

I don’t think a course is necessary for that goal. What you want to do is to compile a package in your raspberry’s workspace. If you don’t know how to do that, I recommend you take our ROS Basics course: ROS Basics in 5 Days (Python) course - hands-on | The Construct

This package is a public repository, so whether it compiles is another story. I recommend two things:

1. Make sure you clone the correct branch. You said you have Noetic in your pi, so you can clone by specifying the appropriate branch: git clone -b noetic-devel https://github.com/UbiquityRobotics/raspicam_node.git. (Note the tag includes -devel, that might mean it never got out of the development phase, which means more work for you debugging)
  2. Follow the build and run instructions in the repository’s README.md: GitHub - UbiquityRobotics/raspicam_node: ROS node for camera module of Raspberry Pi

And that’s it.