How do I make the robot stop aborting the navigation and keep looking for valid paths?

HI, i am running turtlebot on ros melodic, running on ubuntu 18.

I asked the turtlebot to move to a goal that is far away, and the way ahead is blocked (on purpose). In this scenario, the turtlebot keep trying to perform recovery behavious, clear costmaps and try to find a valid path.

After doing this for 39 secs (i checked for use case), the move_base admits defeat and it ABORTS.

[ERROR] [1709537490.388779852, 59.600000000]: Aborting because a valid plan could not be found. Even after executing all recovery behaviors

I want the robot to continue looking for valid path and not to Abort for a very long time, say atleast 5mins.

I am familar with how to accomplish this using the code by using a while loop till goal is reached, but want to know if there are any YAML paramter for move_base that can be changed.

Making following changes in move_base_param.yaml based on instructions from the forum did not help

shutdown_costmaps: false
controller_frequency: 10.0
planner_patience: 5.0
controller_patience: 60.0
conservative_reset_dist: 3.0
planner_frequency: 5.0
oscillation_timeout: 30.0
oscillation_distance: 0.2

Let me know if anyone has a solution to this, such that modification in the yaml file is sufficient and code changes are not necessary.

My recommendation would be to change to ROS 2 and use the Nav2 system. Inside the Nav2 system, you can define the exact behavior you want your planner to do using behavior trees. There you have full control of how many retries, when to do it and in which way.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.